Sunday, June 7, 2009

NJC scholarship reception programs

This is my fourth straight year designing programs for the Northwest Journalists of Color scholarship reception. Each year, I try to come up with something eye-catching but inexpensive to produce. "Eye-catching" is the easy part; "inexpensive" translates into me spending many hours coaxing the laser printer and slaving over the roto trimmer.

Whining aside, I love this year's result. It's my favorite program yet!


For the cover, I wrapped a papercut chrysanthemum around 81 pound gold paper. (Hand model Chris Grygiel)


The inside of the program is copy stock. I wish I had the budget to buy nicer paper (to avoid show-through) but I don't think the average reader will notice. The type is all set in Franklin Gothic. Vanilla, I know, but one of my favorites.

Asian American Journalists Association is one of the four organizations behind the NJC scholarships. Although I'm no longer working as a journalist, I was glad to be able to help out again with this year's reception. AAJA gave me a scholarship to help me through grad school, and the networking through AAJA is how I landed a job at the P-I.
To the young scholarship recipients, best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment